Wednesday, December 29, 2010

In my toolbox: GoWear Fit

Confession:  I love gadgets.  I love numbers and statistics and bar charts. Oooooh, bar charts.  So when I started looking up info about the GoWear Fit, I knew we'd be very, very happy together.  If you watch the Biggest Loser, you've seen these ugly armbands a lot.  I'm surprised they don't pimp it as much as they do Subway or Brita-- but that's neither here nor there.

So I started shopping around and then became obsessed.  I MUST have one!  But, you see--- I'm cheap.  Like, really cheap.  But I found one on ebay for $50.  Sold.  I've been wearing it for a few weeks now and I've got to say, it's amazing.  It tracks all the calories you burn throughout the day and night.  It even track how much you sleep.  I've always known that losing weight is as simple as calories in and calories out.  The problem is that I never knew exactly how many calories were going out!  Here is what I've learned so far:

1) I get less sleep than I thought.  I never really gave is much thought, but I really do a lot better on 8 hours of sleep than 6.  Like, a lot better.  

2) I burn fewer calories per hour sitting at my desk than I do sleeping.  That blew me away and I still don't know what to do with that info.

3) Just because I go to the gym, doesn't mean I've burned enough calories to lose weight.  It's shocking, but if I just go about my normal routine and go to the gym for an hour,  I'll burn about 2500 calories a day.  Eating 1800, that'll make me lose at a rate of about a 1lb a week.  Now I understand how I didn't really lose weight when I was going to the gym faithfully in the past-- I wasn't doing anything else during the day to make it work!  And the nightly bowl eating out of the container of ice cream was killing any calorie deficit I had.

I'm still figuring it all out, but it's a super handy tool.  One reviewer compared it to a big, expensive string around your finger reminding you that you are trying to lose weight.  That's about it.  Maybe I'll post a screenshot of my daily summary with the daily food?  I'll let ya know ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment